It is Mardi Gras and we are in the mountains. Everyone I see around the slopes is from Louisiana. There are plenty of people in Beaver Creek alone from our home town. Tonight my parents have invited some friends of ours that are in town to their house for dinner. What better to serve than Paleo Crawfish Étouffée. We served ours over a sweet potato instead of cauliflower rice, but your could do either.
To make the étouffée you will need:
1/4 cup olive oil,
6 cups chopped onion,
2 cups chopped celery,
2 cups chopped green pepper,
6 cloves minced garlic,
4 teaspoons salt,
1 teaspoon black pepper,
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper,
1/4 cup tomato paste,
3 tablespoons arrowroot powder,
2 cups water,
4 pounds boiled, peeled crawfish,
1 green onion chopped,
1 teaspoon Cajun garlic sauce.
1. In a heavy pot sauté onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic in olive oil.
2. Stir in the salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and tomato paste. Let simmer stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
3. Add arrowroot powder and water to mixture.
4. Cook for 20 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
5. Add crawfish, green onions, Cajun garlic sauce.
6. Serve over cauliflower rice or sweet potato. ( best if refrigerated overnight before serving).